- Lessons from the Most Notorious Traitors in HistoryEmbarking on a riveting exploration of historical narratives, this journey delves into the captivating tales of three notorious traitors. We will uncover the unique contexts that molded their actions, leaving an indelible mark on the human narrative. First, we encounter Brutus, navigating the intricate landscape of noble motives within the political realm. Following his trail, […]
- I stand with Israel! Here’s Why?The Arab World has opposed the existence of Israel since it was established on May 14th, 1948. Consequently, Israel has faced numerous attacks from terrorist groups associated with these opposing nations, long before the Hamas attack on the Jewish state on October 7th, 2023. Growing up, I witnessed the ongoing conflict and learned about its […]
- My Must-Have MacBook AccessoriesThe MacBook is a powerful device. You can use a MacBook Air for light tasks such as web browsing, emailing, blogging, and basic coding, or opt for a MacBook Pro if you need to do more power-hungry, resource-hogging work like video editing and 3D design. Apple’s laptops are versatile and can handle a wide range […]
- My Most Nostalgic Soundtracks of All TimeIn the intricate tapestry of our lives, certain melodies hold a remarkable ability to stir emotions and rekindle cherished memories. These are the soundtracks that transcend time and space, weaving themselves into the fabric of our existence. Join me on a journey through the realm of nostalgia as I explore some of the most evocative […]
- Should You Boycott Cargills Food City?On September 18th, 2023, a distressing video circulating on social media, showed the crew members of Cargills Food City in the Cotta Road, Borella, outlet assaulting a shoplifter who was also seen stripping herself. The video went viral, prompting public outrage and calls to boycott the supermarket chain. Apparently, the video originated from CCTV footage […]
- A Trip Down the Memory Lane with Old TechnologyDuring my teenage years, I had the privilege of immersing myself in the world of technology and witnessing significant transformations in the digital landscape. These youthful escapades epitomized an era marked by rapid technological evolution, fundamentally altering how we engaged with the digital world. In those formative years, technology was a playground of possibilities, and […]
- Unity in Times of Crisis: The Role of a True Sri LankanMy father once shared with me a story about an economic crisis that occurred in Sri Lanka during Sirimavo Bandaranayake’s time as Prime Minister in the 1970s. Although I wasn’t born then, I can envision how challenging life must have been for my parents and grandparents because we are currently facing a similar, if not […]
- A Military Approach for a Secure Smart HomeSri Lanka Telecom in the late 90s introduced the worst metaphor I have ever heard when they referred to their Dial-Up Internet plans as “The Information Superhighway.” Dialog called their Internet plans “Your ticket to the Global Village.” Internet Service Providers use a variety of fancy terms to attract customers. They paint a beautiful picture […]
- Read me before ordering or upgrading your Dialog TV SubscriptionAccording to Wikipedia, Dialog Axiata reached 1.7 million Dialog Television subscribers in 2018. While the company might claim this achievement is due to their excellent service, I believe it’s only partly true. I think this milestone was possible partly because Sri Lankans don’t have many other choices. Besides Dialog Television, the only other Pay TV […]
- Remembering My All-Time Favorite TV ShowsTelevision has a unique way of weaving itself into our lives, leaving a trail of memories, emotions, and unforgettable moments. As I stroll down memory lane, I reflect on TV shows that shaped my entertainment journey. These series aren’t just stories on a screen; they’re the companions that kept me company on countless nights, the […]
- SLTMobitel reinvents the wheel with “Eazy Storage”Speaking of “Personal Cloud Storage” services while there are many around the globe with Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, and Google Drive leading from the front I don’t see anything wrong with Sri Lanka Telecom (SLT) the Self-declared National Information and Communications Technology (ICT) solutions provider and the leading broadband and backbone infrastructure services provider of Sri […]
- 9 Cybersecurity Chronicles: Lessons LearnedI would like to clarify that I am not a cybersecurity expert; my knowledge in this field merely scratches the surface. I identify as more of a cybersecurity enthusiast, conducting independent research to enhance online safety for my friends, family, colleagues, people following me on social media, people reading this blog (people like you), and […]
- Unveiling Issues: LK Domain Registry’s WebsiteThe importance of the online customer portal provided by the LK Domain Registry cannot be overstated. Accessible via www.nic.lk, it plays a pivotal role for government agencies, semi-private and private establishments (e.g.: IMMIGRATION.GOV.LK, SLT.LK, COMBANK.LK), and other big or small businesses utilizing the “LK” Country Code Top Level Domain. However, it’s unfortunate the portal lacks […]
- WhatsApp Best PracticesOn March 10th, 1876, a man accidentally spilled battery acid on his desk while conducting an experiment. In panic he called out to his assistant in another room, uttering the words, “Mr. Watson, come here. I need you.” (Despite planning to use Shakespeare’s “To be or not to be, that is the question!” for the […]
- Beware of Online Loan Sharks in Sri LankaIn The Merchant of Venice, we meet Shylock who insists on the pound of flesh. In Desperate Housewives, we meet Donny who kills Mike Delfino. In Cinderella Man, we meet “The Numbers Guys” that James Braddock has to contend with. In real life, the BBC reports Kanadasaba Nadarajah. There’s one factor common to all of […]
- Four reminiscences from my childhood that are no More.Heraclitus, an ancient Greek philosopher from the city of Ephesus, once expressed the idea that the one thing that remains consistent in life is change itself. Our world is in a perpetual state of transformation, and many of us acknowledge the positive aspects of change. Change often brings about improvements. As an 80s kid, I […]
- The Truth About Three Food Products with Conflicting OpinionsThe food we eat has a direct impact on our health. It can either help us live longer by boosting our immune system, enhancing blood circulation, and improving the overall functioning of our vital organs, or it can make us ill and shorten our lifespan. Following an unhealthy diet over time can lead to serious […]
- Four foods believed to cause cancer but actually Don’t.The word “myth” has two meanings in the dictionary. The first meaning refers to a traditional story, often about the early history of a group of people or explaining something natural or social, usually involving supernatural events or beings. The second meaning is about a commonly held false belief or idea. In Sri Lanka, we […]
- My favorite TV Shows and Films that foresaw the future of AIAs a boy, I was captivated by movies and TV series like “The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes” (1968), “Knight Rider” (1982), “The Terminator (1984), “Team Knight Rider” (1997), “Viper.” (1994), and “Knight Rider II” (2008). These shows sparked my fascination with futuristic technology, especially Artificial Intelligence (AI). Now, as an adult in an age of […]
- Three Myths about ReligionThe significant role religion plays in the lives of Sri Lankans and many other inhabitants of the Asian continent is the reason that convinced me to share this post. Religion is deeply interwoven into their lifestyle and community fabric, holding immense importance in shaping their values, beliefs, and daily practices. Hence, although I harbor no […]
- 6 Smartphone Apps I Can’t Live WithoutEven though Celltel, the first cellular network in Sri Lanka, was established on June 18, 1989, it wasn’t until 1994 that we had our own cellular phone. That year, my father purchased a brand-new Motorola DynaTac 8000X. Due to its large size, about half the size of a brick, the Motorola DynaTac 8000X earned the […]
- PayPal: The Delights, Frustrations, and AnnoyancesIn the rare event you’ve never heard of PayPal before, allow me to introduce you to this payment platform that has stood the test of time. PayPal enables people to make online money transfers through its website and phone app, making it convenient for users to send and receive funds digitally. Established in 1998, PayPal […]
- Buddhism, Sex Scandals & Lessons LearnedThe year 2023 has been a turbulent year for Sri Lanka as far as religious affairs are concerned. On January 5th the Social Media Activist Sepal Amarasinghe was arrested by the Criminal Investigation Department over defaming the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic and slandering Buddhism. On May 15th the president ordered the CID to […]
- Farewell Dropbox. Hello Microsoft OneDrive!In the year 2012, I created my first Dropbox account. Despite the availability of Microsoft’s SkyDrive (now OneDrive) and the launch of Google Drive that same year, I chose to stick with Dropbox because I was impressed by its simplicity. However, by 2017, I found myself using both Dropbox and OneDrive. I started using Microsoft […]
- Unveiling Sri Lanka’s Most Frustrating E-commerce WebsitesIn today’s digital age, e-commerce has become an integral part of our lives, offering convenience and accessibility like never before. However, not all online shopping experiences are created equal, and some websites can leave us feeling more exasperated than satisfied. In this blog post, I delve into the realm of e-commerce in Sri Lanka, shedding […]
- From Aisle to URL: Which Online Supermarket is best for You?In the digital age, online supermarkets have revolutionized the way we shop for groceries. With just a few clicks, we can order fresh produce, pantry staples, and even household items to be delivered right to our doorstep. But with so many options to choose from, it can be difficult to know which online supermarket is […]
- The Security Shift: How macOS is Becoming a Target for MalwareIn recent years, the debate over which operating system is more secure, macOS or Microsoft Windows, has been a hot topic. While many people still believe that macOS is more secure than Microsoft Windows, this perception is changing rapidly. In this article, we will discuss the reasons behind this perception, the current state of the […]
- Package Delivery Smackdown: Comparing PickMe Flash, Uber Connect, and Pronto LankaBack in the 80s and 90s, my father had limited options for shipping packages to someone in Colombo. He could either use the parcel post service provided by the Sri Lanka Postal Service, send it by Night Mail Train, or rely on a friend or family member travelling to Colombo. If the recipient was in […]
- My Tour in New Delhi: A Lankan ChronicleDespite having a considerable distance to traverse before achieving a spot among the top ten global cities, New Delhi is undeniably a destination that beckons visitors with its charm and allure. I know that it’s true because, on September 24, 2018, I embarked on a journey of 1,288 miles to New Delhi with three of […]
- Ground Rules for using Prescription Drugs or OTC MedicinesMy mother has been receiving treatments for diabetes and high blood pressure for the past 19 years. Her medication included Zaart 50 tablets a brand name for the drug Losartan Potassium 50mg. In rare cases, it can cause kidney damage or worsen pre-existing kidney problems, especially if it is taken in high doses or for […]
- I’ve got a Problem with Koko!Before the arrival of Mintpay and Koko “Buy Now Pay Later” or interest-free easy payment schemes were available only to Credit Card holders and buyers with guarantors (as far as my knowledge permits). The aforesaid Fintech apps however allow consumers to pay in instalments using even a debit card. Apps like Koko by Daraz let […]
- Energizer UB2607: The Good, the Bad, and the UglyAt the beginning of this year, I shared my thoughts about JBL Tune 500BT Headphones which I use primarily for movies and video editing although it’s perfectly capable of handling phone calls. Due to its large size, however, I wanted something smaller to use with phone calls and Zoom meetings. I know, Apple AirPods is […]
- Teachers’ Dress Code and the Rest of the IcebergThe talk of the town in Sri Lanka these days seems to be about the dress code of teachers. There are two camps. One believes a teacher should have the freedom to choose between the saree and more comfortable attire and another that argues teachers shouldn’t be given that choice on grounds of modesty, tradition, […]
- SLT Fibre is not Safe. Here’s the SolutionDid you know your “SLT Fibre” subscription could risk your privacy and data? A few days ago, I watched in dismay as an SLT technical team left my employer’s premises after installing an optical fibre connection without changing the default security settings. Yes! SLT Technicians have a wild west reputation for not securing new optical […]
- Inspiration from a Social Engineering AttackA few days ago, a colleague of mine announced via WhatsApp status that his Instagram account was hacked. Upon talking to him I realized the account wasn’t hacked but the attacker had gained access to the account by tricking him into changing his sign-in email address into an email address to which only the attacker […]
- Dealing with Your Inner (Emotional) HurtsEmotional pain can be defined as pain or hurt that originates from non-physical sources. Sometimes such inner hurts are caused by the people in our lives. While people are the source of the greatest joy in life, they can also be the greatest cause of inner hurts we face in life. People can hurt us, […]
- 5 Ways to (Physically) care for Your Smart DevicesThe demand to be digitally connected is one of several “behavioral shifts” that have occurred among Sri Lankans as a result of COVID 19. This era has shown us smartphones and other smart devices are no longer a luxury but a need. Unfortunately, with the government classifying smartphones as non-essential items, the demand exceeded the […]
- My Second Chance at Life and how I made it CountOn May 1st, 2021, at 1:30 AM I felt a deep pain in my stomach. 24 hours later I saw a doctor because the pain wouldn’t go away. The Doctor after examining me detected a serious infection caused by a ruptured appendix. Loss of life was out of the question and I was taken to […]
- Ground Rules for Shopping Groceries OnlineIn my previous post “Ground Rules for Grocery Shopping” I promised to share my ground rules for grocery shopping online. This writeup is a follow-up post to that promise and today I want to share five ground rules you should stick to when shopping for groceries online. Unlike shopping for groceries in-person shopping for groceries […]
- Ground Rules for Grocery ShoppingWelcome to another episode of my series titled “Ground Rules”. It’s a series the content of which is based purely on my day-to-day experience in fool-proofing simple everyday tasks that affect our productivity. So far in this series, I have addressed Ground Rules for using PickMe and Uber, Ground Rules of Using Social Media for […]
- The SLBFE Hack: More than just a Hack?The month of April has been a busy time for both cybercriminals and infosec professionals alike. In the 25 days, that went by, PayHere was hacked while #OpSriLanka knocked several government websites offline. The latest incident involves LulzSecSL (A local offshoot of LulzSec?) breaking into an online database maintained by the SLBFE or the Sri […]
- #OpSriLanka is incredibly unwise and unhelpful: Here’s Why?Having seen several posts on Facebook & Twitter calling on “Anonymous” an amateur group of cyber criminals to save Sri Lanka, the question is are we prepared to face the consequences of such an intervention? Calling on international politically motivated cybercriminals to “help” will result in large-scale cyber-attacks on our digital infrastructure which will do […]
- Beware of these 4 Myths about VPNWhen the war in Vietnam broke out, the US air force began bombing the Ho Chi Minh Trail, a network of paths and trails the guerrilla fighters used for moving combatants and supplies between North Vietnam and South Vietnam. When the US airstrikes targeted these trails, the guerrillas began using underground tunnels to continue their […]
- My Two Cents on the PayHere HackIn a post titled “The Worrying State of Cybersecurity in Sri Lanka” published by me last year; I emphasized that cybercriminals are targeting high-profile online assets owned and operated by the Sri Lankan government and business establishments with increasing effect. Today, one year and two months later PayHere a popular Internet Payment Gateway Service Provider […]
- Thou Shalt not use SMS!On January 25th, 1915, Alexander Graham Bell revolutionized the way we communicate when he yelled, “Watson, please come here. I want you!” Fifty-six years later Ray Tomlinson made history when he sent the first email in the year 1971. The email said, “QWERTYUIOP”. Then on December 3rd, 1992, Neil Papworth from Vodafone Inc. introduced the […]
- Final Memory Flashbacks: A Quantum of Solace?The 2004 science fiction film “The Final Cut” talks about an era in the future where people have microchips implanted in their heads recording everything they see. After they die, a professional known as “The Cutter” downloads the video that was captured throughout their lives and edits it into a pleasant narrative that the loved […]
- 5 Questions for Choosing a Cloud Storage ServiceWhen the MP Hon. Ranjan Ramanayake was arrested with a collection of CDs containing private telephone conversations, a friend of mine commented Ranjan should have uploaded the recordings to a Cloud Storage Service instead of copying them to CDs. I do agree with him but is it as easy as it sounds? There are at […]
- Kiss, Kiss, Bye, Bye G Suite Legacy Free Edition!Prior to December 6, 2012, Google allowed users around the world to sign up for the G Suite Legacy Free Edition, which was a freemium version of Google’s G Suite offering. I am one of those users who signed up. Sixteen years later in January 2022, Google announced that support for the G Suite legacy […]
- I’m a Tough Guy! Are You?In the film “Big Game” the President of the United States (Samuel L. Jackson) while running for his life explains about looking tough to a 13-year-old boy he met in the woods. It’s a very interesting conversation. Jackson tells the little boy, “Sometimes you don’t have to be tough. You just have to look tough.” […]
- My thoughts on #noගුටි (#nospanking)In the event, you are not aware, #noගුටි (#noguti: translates to #nospanking) is a national campaign launched by the Stop Child Cruelty Trust with the Child Protection Alliance of Sri Lanka to promote the ban of Corporal punishment in schools. The campaign was officially launched on February 21, 2022, at the Goethe Institute in Colombo. […]
- JBL Tune 500BT: 2+ Years LaterA part of my daytime job requires editing videos. I edit at least two videos per week. I am not a professional editor, but I help the in-house production team with basic edits because editing those videos require a sound knowledge of theology and a pastoral perspective, although I don’t know the head or tail […]
- Rules of Thumb for Thumb Drives and Flash DrivesThumb Drives and Flash Drives certainly revolutionized the way we store and transfer information between computers. It was from an article in a Technology Magazine that I read about them for the first time about 21 years ago. Back then these bad boys were 6 inches in length and were dubbed “Pen Drives” because they […]
- The KNDU Bill and the Boy who cried, Tiger!I am passing by the Open University of Sri Lanka on my way to work and I cannot help but notice a banner displayed inside the campus premises facing the Nawala road. The banner says, something to the effect of “රාජ්ය විශ්ව විද්යාල පද්ධතිය දිය කර හරින කොතලාවල පනත හකුලා ගනු” (Roll back the KNDU […]
- How to choose a Reliable Power Strip or an Extension Cord?Power Strips and Electric Extension Cords are essential electric items found in every home and office today. I use five power strips in my room, and two others at work. Although we take these items for granted very often, it’s impossible even to imagine a life without them. They make life easier but unfortunately, they […]
- Protect Your Children from Sexual Abuse and MolestationAs accusations of child abuse emerge with alarming regularity across the country, Sri Lanka is experiencing a nationwide crisis of child abuse. Over 2,500 incidences of child abuse were reported to the National Child Protection Authority (NCPA) in the first 60 days of 2020, while 5,242 cases were reported by July 2020. On average, its […]
- How to Talk to Your Children about Sex in Sri Lanka?In Sri Lanka, sex is considered taboo. Mainly because our definition of sex is narrow and limited to sexual intercourse. I remember a friend asking our Christianity teacher (who was explaining the ten commandments) the meaning of the sixth commandment: “Thou shall not commit adultery.” She managed to slip away with a vague answer, but […]
- What’s so bad about Living Together?I have been pondering the best approach to this post for some time when I came across this video on Coach Sandaru Hettiarachchi’s YouTube channel. In her video, she kind of justifies the trend of unwedded couples “Living Together” or “Cohabitation” culturally and sexually, citing how our ancestors used to cohabit before the concept of […]
- How to Defend Yourself against Revenge Porn?Revenge porn is a criminal offense that entails disclosing a person’s private sexual photographs or films without their consent to distress them. Blackmail is frequently used as a precursor to revenge porn (where the perpetrator threatens to release private sexual footage unless their demands are met). Revenge porn can be communicated in a variety of […]
- Nostalgia: Remembering Mark RathnayakeI met Mark fourteen years ago while serving at a church in Colombo. I was an Assistant Pastor with the Assemblies of God of Ceylon, and he was a Lieutenant Commander in the Sri Lanka Navy. What has a preacher got in common with a soldier? Nothing maybe but he considered me his friend, mentor, […]
- Three Ways to Respond to an AtheistAccording to Wikipedia, roughly 450 to 500 million atheists form 7% of the global population. 76% of them reside in Asia and the Pacific. With 90% of its population made up of atheists China is home to the largest atheist community in the world. In light of these numbers have you ever thought about what […]
- My thoughts on Yohani and මැණිකේ මගේ හිතේThe year 2021 is known for two landmark events in the Sri Lankan entertainment industry. The number one event was the departure of Sunil Perera, the nation’s larger-than-life music legend. The second event was Yohani Diloka De Silva’s ascend to the international platform with the song මැණිකේ මගේ හිතේ (translates to “babe in my mind”) […]
- 5 Smarter Ways to Use Your SmartphoneAlthough smartphones are supposed to make us more productive whether they make us more counterproductive or not is dependent on our usage of the devices. These devices have been around for almost 30 years now. Nevertheless, most of us still use them the way we would use a feature phone or dumb phone. That makes […]
- I love the Logitech M185! Here’s Why?At the beginning of the year 2021, I shared with you my tips for working smart. Today I want to introduce you to a tool that I believe will help you to work even smarter. It’s the M185 Mouse by Logitech. I met the Logitech M185 back in December 2010 while shopping for an ultra-portable […]
- A Beautiful Mind: My Tribute to Sunil PereraI loved listening to songs since I was a pre-school kid. Not nursery songs, I didn’t like them at all, but I liked songs enjoyed by grownups. Songs such as දෑස පියා ගත් කල (When I close my eyes…) and දේවතාවන් සිතන දේවල් (Things the gods think…) from the teledrama සුසීමා (Suseema: a women’s name […]
- The 4 Ds of RacismJacinda Ardern’s statement after the terror attack on September 3rd was indeed a slap across the face of racism. The Prime Minister said, “What happened today was despicable. It was hateful. It was wrong. It was carried out by an individual – not a faith, not a culture, not an ethnicity – but an individual […]
- The Attributes of a Pseudo AtheistThe dictionary defines a pseudo-atheist as someone who claims not to believe in God but believes in Him unconsciously. In the context of this post, however, I would like to give the term an altogether different definition. A pseudo-atheist is an individual that pretends to be an atheist because he thinks atheism is a fashion […]
- The Unseen Rewards of Helping OthersSomeone said “One of the most beautiful things we can do is to help one another. Kindness doesn’t cost anything.” Well, I disagree, wholeheartedly! Help is not free because it has a price. Although it’s free for the person on the receiving end it’s not so for the person on the offering end. Consider calling […]
- 6 Other Safeguards against COVID 19It’s been two years and nine months since COVID-19 dawned upon us. At the time of this writing, the death toll in Sri Lanka rests at 9,185 while 440,302 new patients have been discovered and 374,156 patients have recovered. Globally these numbers rest at 218,560,832 deaths, 4,534,054 new patients and 195,396,563 recovered patients. Virologists have […]
- Farewell Windows. Hello macOSOn the 19th of this month, I bought my brand-new 13” MacBook Air powered by Apple’s flagship M1 chip. I have never owned an Apple device before so this happens to be my first time. Today I would like to share with you a few facts I like and don’t like about it in comparison […]
- Reflections: In Loving Memory of My FatherEven as I celebrate my father’s life on his one-year death anniversary, I’d like to share with you three thoughts that came to me as I reflected on his life and death over the past eleven months. These are being shared for two reasons. First and foremost, they serve as a reminder of God’s goodness. […]
- Honour Your Parents: Why and How?On October 13, 2015, the police rescued a father aged 73 who had been imprisoned in a dog cage by his daughter. According to that report, the woman’s dogs slept on a bed inside the house [source: Daily News]. In Sri Lankan culture, treating our parents with love and care is a core principle and […]
- Five Signs of an Uneducated HeartSocrates said, “Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.” It means education that doesn’t bring behavioural change is useless. Socrates believed an individual’s behaviour was driven by his heart. Therefore, according to Socratic philosophy, an uneducated heart is as bad as no education at all. Sri Lanka’s population had an […]
- Don’t Fall Prey to Online SexploitationThe day I read “Porn and Nudes: Delving into Cyber Exploitation in Sri Lanka” by Ms Piyumi Fonseka, on Daily Mirror Online was the day I got the shock of a lifetime! I know revenge porn and home-brewed pornography have been around since the inception of the internet in Sri Lanka. However, I didn’t know […]
- Ground Rules for Online Banking and ShoppingEven though online banking and grocery shopping have existed in Sri Lanka for many years, the majority of Sri Lankans preferred doing these things offline. That was before COVID-19 gave them a limited array of options. According to a study conducted by “Survey Research Lanka” with 580 samples collected from the nine provinces, 47% of […]
- Microsoft loves Linux: Three Lessons to Live ByWhile Microsoft’s love affair with Linux isn’t new, Sathya Nadella most likely made a candid revelation for the first time when he said “Microsoft loves Linux” at a media event in 2014. If you’re not familiar with Linux, it’s a computer operating system much better than the Windows family of Server Operating Systems. Linux has […]
- Working Smart: 3 Unconventional TipsAlthough the concept of working smarter not harder has been around for a very long time it was Allen F. Morgenstern an industrial engineer who coined the term “work harder not smarter” back in the year 1930. Today you can find billions of books and blog posts dedicated to the topic. Searching the phrase “work […]
- Contemplating Suicide? Contemplate Again!Suicide is a nationwide problem our island nation is faced with today. According to an official report produced by the Sri Lanka Police in the year 2020, a staggering number of 3,074 individuals committed suicide in that year alone. Out of that number, 2,484 were male while 590 were female. 86 were children between the […]
- I Love to Give Gifts: Here’s what I give the MostCall me weird or even foolish, but I enjoy giving gifts. Not just for birthdays or Christmas holidays but all around the year. I feel a sense of great joy when someone smiles because of a gift I gave them. It is an experience that money can never buy. Not that I don’t like to […]
- My Ground Rules for Ordering through PickMe Food and UberEatsIn an earlier post titled “Ground Rules for using PickMe and Uber” I shared eight ground rules for using the two most popular taxi-hailing services in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Today I want to share with you my ground rules for ordering through their Food Delivery counterparts PickMe Food and UberEats. These ground rules are based […]
- My One Wrong Email to 85 Wrong Recipients!Miley Cyrus, best known by her stage name Hanna Montana, sang in 2008 “Everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days…” That song is known as “Nobody’s Perfect” and is still a hit after thirteen years. Today in the spirit of making mistakes, I want to share with you a few life-transforming lessons I’ve learned from […]
- How to keep conflicts at work to a Minimum?In my previous post titled “Do You Fall Asleep at Work? Me Too!” I discussed five strategies I used to overcome my proclivity for dozing off at work. Today, I’d like to share with you a few tips for minimizing workplace conflicts. While we cannot prevent conflicts altogether, there are things we can do to […]
- Ground Rules of Using Social Media for Sri LankansI have had the privilege of managing social media for a leading Christian church in Colombo, Sri Lanka, for the past four years. During this time, I was able to observe how people, particularly Sri Lankans, use social media on my own. Those observations inspired the following principles that I call ground rules for using […]
- Do You Fall Asleep at Work? Me Too!I firmly believe adequate sleep is essential for a disciplined lifestyle. A disciplined lifestyle helps to win at work and succeed in life. Excessive sleep however is a curse especially if you fall asleep at work. It’s humiliating, counterproductive, and could derail your career. Trust me. I know because I used to fall asleep across […]
- Ground Rules for using PickMe and UberThe introduction of transport Apps has made life easier for all of us. They are convenient and budget-friendly. Much more efficient than random “tuks”. At the moment PickMe and Uber are the most popular taxi-hailing apps in Sri Lanka. (Unlike Uber which operates only in Colombo and its suburbs, PickMe operates in Negombo, Pilliyandala, and […]
- Thinking of an Affair? Think Again!On March 01st, 2021 the Sri Lanka Police found unattended luggage in the streets of Colombo. Inside, they found a headless female body. In a similar incident on 30th July 2015, they found another female body in luggage left behind in the street. Besides having been murdered both victims shared another common factor. They both […]
- Oppo A12: What I Like, Dislike and MissIn my previous post titled “Dialog: What I like, Dislike and Hate” I wrote about my love and hate relationship with Dialog Axiata. Today I want to tell you what I feel about my new Oppo A12. There was a time I used to say ‘appo!’ (a Sri Lankan expression of hopelessness) every time anyone […]
- The Ravi Zacharias Scandal: Spotting Deceptive Leadership in ChurchAlthough the evangelical community prefers to think the late Ravi Zacharias sexual and financial scandal is an isolated incident it’s not so. It exposes a trend prevalent across the evangelical church today. The tragic revelation indicates that Christian Leaders are perfectly capable of manipulating their recognition and charisma to conceal their darkest and dirtiest secrets. […]
- 3 Myths about Pornography I wish were TrueIn my previous blog post, “Social Media is the New Face of Porn” I shared how pornographers leverage Social Media as a carrier for pornography. In today’s blog post I am sharing three myths about pornography that pornographers use as grounds to rationalize their work. These are primarily based on my observations from an interview […]
- The worrying state of Cybersecurity in Sri LankaOn February 6th, 2021 many users’ traffic to GOOGLE.LK and a few other websites under the LK Domain Registry redirected to a propaganda page in what seemed to be the work of hacktivists. The page drew attention to several contemporary national issues. Although the media reported the websites themselves have been hacked, the hackers had […]
- Dialog: What I Like, Dislike and HateI began using Dialog Products for the first time in 2012 when I subscribed to a Dialog TV Pearl Plan. I subscribed to two additional plans later that year. In a short time, I switched from Mobitel to Dialog for voice and data as well. Altogether at the time of this writing, I have three […]
- Social Media is the New Face of PornSomeone said he had to work hard to find porn when he was a kid, but kids today have to work hard to stop porn from finding them. Today I want to share how Pornographers push pornography and nudity through Social Media by overrunning Facebook and Instagram with porn and other sexually charged images or […]
- What’s so bad about Street Harassment?I bent over to tie my shoe. When I stood back up, a guy shouted, “Really liked it better when you were bent over, sweetheart!” I was 14. (Anonymous Victim of Street Harassment). Here’s a statement by just one of the countless women who face harassment in the streets at the hands of men like […]
- My father was a nobody. But…In my previous post titled “Don’t Waste Your Lonely Christmas,” I shared four things I did to transform a lonely Christmas into a memorable experience. Today I want to share a few memories about my beloved father, who is no longer with me. “What’s so special about your father?” You may ask. Well, my father […]
- Scam alert: Microsoft Office 365 Lifetime SubscriptionI admit that my user experience with macOS and the MacBook Air is far superior compared to Windows as well as Toshiba, HP, and Dell. However, if there’s one software application that I cannot replace, that would be the Microsoft Office Suite. The UI and UX in Apple’s Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are light years […]
- Scam Alert: Grammarly Premium Lifetime SubscriptionIn “Microsoft Office 365 Lifetime Subscription?” I warned against paying for the so-called Microsoft Office 365 lifetime subscriptions. Today I want to warn you of another scam. In this particular scam, scammers sell login details for hacked Grammarly Premium Accounts. After much research about this issue, I have decided to reveal my findings to the […]
- Don’t Waste Your Lonely ChristmasI work in a leading Christian Church in the metropolitan city of Colombo. Essentially it means I seldom have time for spending Christmas eve with my family who lives in Nuwara Eliya a 5-8-hour drive from the city of Colombo. It didn’t bother me much back then because I had my lovely wife by my […]
- Thinking of an Abortion? Think Again!In parts of the world where abortion is illegal, botched abortions cause about 8 to 11 percent of all maternal deaths, or about 30,000 each year. [Source: The Atlantic] Consequently, Health Care Professionals, Women’s Rights Activists, and Politicians are campaigning for the decriminalization of abortion and expansion of the circumstances in which a woman can […]
- Pandora’s Box: Legalizing ProstitutionModern media prefers the term “sex-worker” instead of “prostitute” when referring to women who receive money or goods in exchange for sexual intercourse because it feels the former is more polite and respectful. At the same time, the latter, on the other hand, is rude and disrespectful. May I remind you, however, there’s nothing honourable […]
- Login CustomizerThis page is used for Login Customizer plugin. It will not be visible to your readers. Do not delete it.
Yohan Perera follows a standard procedure of using log files. These files log visitors when they visit websites. All hosting companies do this and are a part of hosting services’ analytics. The information collected by log files includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), date and time stamp, referring/exit pages, and possibly the number of clicks. These are not linked to any information that is personally identifiable. The purpose of the information is for analyzing trends, administering the site, tracking users’ movement on the website, and gathering demographic information.
Cookies and Web Beacons
Like any other website, Yohan Perera uses ‘cookies’. These cookies are used to store information including visitors’ preferences, and the pages on the website that the visitor accessed or visited. The information is used to optimize the users’ experience by customizing our web page content based on visitors’ browser type and/or other information.
Google AdSense Ad Network
We use forms on our website to serve various purposes. Given below is an exclusive list of forms present on this website, the purposes they serve, and the information they collect.
1. Email Marketing Form
We use a web form on this website provided to us by MailChimp an Email Marketing service to help potential subscribers to subscribe to our content. This website will store the email address you submit in order to alert you when the website is updated with new content.
2. Contact Us Form
We use a web form 0n this website to help our visitors contact us conveniently. It will collect and store information such as your name, Internet Protocol Address, and Email Address for enabling us to respond to your inquiries.
3. Comments Form
We use a web form on this website to help our visitors provide feedback regarding individual content. This form will collect and store information such as your name, Internet Protocol address, and email address to help us to monitor the comments and interact with you.
Third Party Privacy Policies
You can choose to disable cookies through your individual browser options. To know more detailed information about cookie management with specific web browsers, it can be found at the browsers’ respective websites.
Information about Children
Another part of our priority is adding protection for children while using the internet. We encourage parents and guardians to observe, participate in, and/or monitor and guide their online activity.
Yohan Perera does not knowingly collect any Personal Identifiable Information from children under the age of 13. If you think that your child provided this kind of information on our website, we strongly encourage you to contact us immediately and we will do our best efforts to promptly remove such information from our records.
This policy is effective as of December 2nd, 2020.
Subscribe and Stay Informed
Feel free to subscribe to my bi-monthly newsletter. All you need to provide is your first name, last name, and a valid email address. I shall not send you spam or share your information with a third party.
These terms and conditions outline the rules and regulations for the use of Yohan Perera’s Website, located at HTTPS://WWW.YOSHLK.ME By accessing this website we assume you accept these terms and conditions. Do not continue to use Yohan Perera if you do not agree to take all of the terms and conditions stated on this page.
The following terminology applies to these Terms and Conditions, Privacy Statement and Disclaimer Notice and all Agreements: “Client”, “You” and “Your” refers to you, the person log on this website and compliant to the Company’s terms and conditions. “The Company”, “Ourselves”, “We”, “Our” and “Us”, refers to our Company. “Party”, “Parties”, or “Us”, refers to both the Client and ourselves. All terms refer to the offer, acceptance, and consideration of payment necessary to undertake the process of our assistance to the Client in the most appropriate manner for the express purpose of meeting the Client’s needs in respect of the provision of the Company’s stated services, in accordance with and subject to, prevailing law of Netherlands. Any use of the above terminology or other words in the singular, plural, capitalization, and/or he/she or they, are taken as interchangeable and therefore as referring to same.
Unless otherwise stated, Yohan Perera and/or its licensors own the intellectual property rights for all material on Yohan Perera. All intellectual property rights are reserved. You may access this from Yohan Perera for your own personal use subjected to restrictions set in these terms and conditions.
You must not:
- Republish material from Yohan Perera
- Sell, rent or sub-license material from Yohan Perera
- Reproduce, duplicate or copy material from Yohan Perera
- Redistribute content from Yohan Perera
This Agreement shall begin on the date hereof.
Parts of this website offer an opportunity for users to post and exchange opinions and information in certain areas of the website. Yohan Perera does review Comments prior to their presence on the website. Comments published however do not reflect the views and opinions of Yohan Perera, its agents, and/or affiliates. Comments reflect the views and opinions of the person who posts their views and opinions. To the extent permitted by applicable laws, Yohan Perera shall not be liable for the Comments or for any liability, damages, or expenses caused and/or suffered as a result of any use of and/or posting of and/or appearance of the Comments on this website.
Yohan Perera reserves the right to monitor all Comments and to remove any Comments which can be considered inappropriate, offensive, or cause a breach of these Terms and Conditions.
You warrant and represent that:
- You are entitled to post the Comments on our website and have all necessary licenses and consents to do so;
- The Comments do not invade any intellectual property right, including without limitation copyright, patent or trademark of any third party;
- The Comments do not contain any defamatory, libelous, offensive, indecent or otherwise unlawful material which is an invasion of privacy
- The Comments will not be used to solicit or promote business or custom or present commercial activities or unlawful activity.
You hereby grant Yohan Perera a non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, edit and authorize others to use, reproduce and edit any of your Comments in any and all forms, formats, or media.
Hyperlinking to our Content
The following organizations may link to our Website without prior written approval:
- Government agencies;
- Search engines;
- News organizations;
- Online directory distributors may link to our Website in the same manner as they hyperlink to the Websites of other listed businesses; and
- System wide Accredited Businesses except soliciting non-profit organizations, charity shopping malls, and charity fundraising groups which may not hyperlink to our Web site.
These organizations may link to our home page, to publications or to other Website information so long as the link: (a) is not in any way deceptive; (b) does not falsely imply sponsorship, endorsement or approval of the linking party and its products and/or services; and (c) fits within the context of the linking party’s site.
We may consider and approve other link requests from the following types of organizations:
- commonly-known consumer and/or business information sources;
- dot.com community sites;
- associations or other groups representing charities;
- online directory distributors;
- internet portals;
- accounting, law and consulting firms; and
- educational institutions and trade associations.
We will approve link requests from these organizations if we decide that: (a) the link would not make us look unfavorably to ourselves or to our accredited businesses; (b) the organization does not have any negative records with us; (c) the benefit to us from the visibility of the hyperlink compensates the absence of Yohan Perera, and (d) the link is in the context of general resource information.
These organizations may link to our home page so long as the link: (a) is not in any way deceptive; (b) does not falsely imply sponsorship, endorsement, or approval of the linking party and its products or services; and (c) fits within the context of the linking party’s site.
If you are one of the organizations listed in paragraph 2 above and are interested in linking to our website, you must inform us by sending an e-mail to Yohan Perera. Please include your name, your organization name, contact information as well as the URL of your site, a list of any URLs from which you intend to link to our Website, and a list of the URLs on our site to which you would like to link. Wait 2-3 weeks for a response.
Approved organizations may hyperlink to our Website as follows:
- By use of our corporate name; or
- By use of the uniform resource locator being linked to; or
- By use of any other description of our Website being linked to that makes sense within the context and format of content on the linking party’s site.
No use of Yohan Perera’s logo or other artwork will be allowed for linking absent a trademark license agreement.
Without prior approval and written permission, you may not create frames around our Webpages that alter in any way the visual presentation or appearance of our Website.
We shall not be held responsible for any content that appears on your Website. You agree to protect and defend us against all claims that are rising on your Website. No link(s) should appear on any Website that may be interpreted as libelous, obscene, or criminal, or which infringes, otherwise violates, or advocates the infringement or other violation of, any third party rights.
Reservation of Rights
We reserve the right to request that you remove all links or any particular link to our Website. You approve to immediately remove all links to our Website upon request. We also reserve the right to amend these terms and conditions and its linking policy at any time. By continuously linking to our Website, you agree to be bound to and follow these linking terms and conditions.
Removal of links from our website
If you find any link on our Website that is offensive for any reason, you are free to contact and inform us at any moment. We will consider requests to remove links but we are not obligated to or so or to respond to you directly.
We do not ensure that the information on this website is correct, we do not warrant its completeness or accuracy; nor do we promise to ensure that the website remains available or that the material on the website is kept up to date.
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, we exclude all representations, warranties, and conditions relating to our website and the use of this website. Nothing in this disclaimer will:
- limit or exclude our or your liability for death or personal injury;
- limit or exclude our or your liability for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation;
- limit any of our or your liabilities in any way that is not permitted under applicable law; or
- exclude any of our or your liabilities that may not be excluded under applicable law.
The limitations and prohibitions of liability set in this Section and elsewhere in this disclaimer: (a) are subject to the preceding paragraph; and (b) govern all liabilities arising under the disclaimer, including liabilities arising in contract, in tort, and for breach of statutory duty.
As long as the website and the information and services on the website are provided free of charge, we will not be liable for any loss or damage of any nature.
This policy is effective as of December 2nd, 2020.
- Site Map
If you require any more information or have any questions about our site’s disclaimer, please feel free to contact us by email.
Disclaimers for Yohan Perera
All the information on this website – HTTPS://WWW.YOSHLK.ME – is published in good faith and for general information purposes only. Yohan Perera does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (Yohan Perera), is strictly at your own risk. Yohan Perera will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.
From our website, you can visit other websites by following hyperlinks to such external sites. While we strive to provide only quality links to useful and ethical websites, we have no control over the content and nature of these sites. These links to other websites do not imply a recommendation for all the content found on these sites. Site owners and content may change without notice and may occur before we have the opportunity to remove a link that may have gone ‘bad’.
Please be also aware that when you leave our website, other sites may have different privacy policies and terms that are beyond our control. Please be sure to check the Privacy Policies of these sites as well as their “Terms of Service” before engaging in any business or uploading any information.
Please note that by using our website, you hereby consent to our disclaimer and agree to its terms.
Should we update, amend or make any changes to this document, those changes will be prominently posted here.
- Thank You
Thank You for Contacting Me.
I will reply within the next three Business Days.
- About Me
We can change the world and make it a better place. It is in your hands to make a difference.— Nelson Mandela
I am Yohan Perera from Colombo, Sri Lanka. I am a Follower of Christ and a Fan of All things Philosophy. I know God does exist, knows me personally, and has an amazing plan and purpose for my life. Life is the pilgrimage I have embarked on for discovering that plan and purpose.
I am passionate about blogging to make a difference through inspiration, education, and information. Behind every post, I craft for this blog is something I have experienced in the journey of life. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Therefore, every word of mine that you read here is a message straight from my heart into yours.
I am not a professional writer myself. In fact, I am a nobody. Nevertheless, I keep on writing because I know one day I can bring change to my community, nation, and this world, making it a better place for the next generation if I don’t give up. After all, a mosquito is a tiny species but you can never sleep when there’s one in the bedroom.
I am a former pastor now working in a church in a management capacity. I am passionate about not just spirituality but social issues, productivity, and technology also. I love to read, write and share my knowledge. Whenever I am not working you can find me watching NatGeo, Discovery Channel, a Netflix series, listening to Guns N’ Roses, walking, or sleeping.
Special Thanks: I am forever in debt to the amazing individuals whose names I have mentioned below. This blog would have been born and died a dream if it wasn’t because of their help.
Sohan Dinesh the coding Wizard for helping with CSS for nothing in return. This blog would have appeared pretty awful had he not helped.
Last but not least Samali Perera for the encouraging words and the prayers all the way from Sydney, Australia.
I trust this blog will be an inspiration and a blessing to you and it will make a difference in your community and the world even as it makes a difference for you.
- Contact Me
Thank you for dropping by. Use the form below to send me an email about your next project, provide feedback about my blog or just want to connect with me.
- Hire Me
I offer the undermentioned services at a reasonable cost. Feel free to send me an email or call me on 077-9052592 if you are interested in detail.
This is an online course conducted via Zoom. The course covers domain names & hosting, setting up WordPress, SEO & Performance as well as, security and maintenance. Additionally, you will learn technologies such as cPanel, MySQL, CloudFlare, SSL, and FTP also. A certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of training.
- Theme Design and Customization: I will design your WordPress-driven website or blog from scratch or template depending on your preference.
- WordPress Plugin Development: I will develop your customized WordPress Plugins with security and performance in mind.
- Maintenance and Tech Support: I will keep your WordPress-driven website in tiptop shape through maintenance and tech support for a fixed monthly rate.
- Content Update and Copy Writing: I will write copy for your website or blog and keep it fresh for a fixed monthly rate. I am fluent in both Sinhala and English. Tamil copywriting services can be arranged upon request.
I offer translation services in English and Sinhala. Tamil translation services can be arranged upon request. I can translate documents related to, technology, biology, and theology.